Thursday 20 January 2011

Australian Open Day 4

Wrapping up the 2nd Round today and a few seeds have joined the defeated list. Amongst them is Feliciano Lopez losing to Bernard Tomic, one of my favourite teen players, he is also now Australia's only hope in the mens draw! But he will be against Nadal in Round 3 so I guess he'll be out next.

Del Potro also lost, sadly, to Marcos Baghdatis. I hope Del Potro can return to full form soon because he was a true contender to all the slams.

David Nalbandian on the other hand retired to Richard Berankis, he had only won one game prior to retiring in the third set. Michael Llodra the 22nd seed and Thomaz Belluci the 30th seed also lost.

So two rounds in and we have 10 seeds out, about average I'd say. One thing I wanted to mention was Roger Federer yet again seems to have the easiest early draw. I'm not saying Federer doesn't win his Grand Slams fair and square I'm just saying for some reason he generally seems to get relatively simple draws in the first 4 rounds compared to other top seeds. That's just a view from casual browsing if anybody wants to challenge that feel free.

On the women's side Jelena Jankovic suffered a straight sets loss to Shuai Peng. I told you Peng was in great form whilst Jankovic was probably going to be one of the big losses in week 1 and Jankovic is the highest seed to lose out.

Maria Kirilenko also lost, sadly, as well as Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez and Alisa Kleybanova.

No comments:

Post a Comment